Remember the video game toy I’ve been making for Rob’s desk at work? Well I finally got through all the stranded knitting on tiny needles to get to the part I’ve been looking forward to: my first steeks! The toy is the Weighted Companion Cube from the game Portal, and since it’s a cube it needs 6 sides all alike. The pattern suggests knitting these in one piece in the round all at once (since stranded colorwork is so much easier in the round and plus, who wants to knit the same thing 6 times?) and using steeks to cut them apart and sew them into a cube with stuffing. The finished knitted companion tube:

I used my sewing machine to reinforce the steeks, because it seemed like it would be the fastest and sturdiest method. Since I am only to the blocking stage, I only needed to cut off the top and bottom faces of the cube so I could block the faces flat, so there were three “seams” where I had to reinforce before the cutting. I used a dark colored bobbin (too lazy to switch it out on the sewing machine), so the sewing is much easier to see on the wrong side of the knitting:

By showing you that seam, I also reveal the nether-regions of the project: the wrong side of my stranded knitting! You can see where towards the end I gave up on twisting the floats every stitch to get the project done faster. I will use that technique if I ever do colorwork on something with fingers or toes inside of it, but it was pretty much unnecessarily slow for a project whose wrong side will be forever hidden inside of the toy.

Oops, I got off track! On to the part you’ve been waiting to see… the cutting:

I used my sharpest scissors to cut the straightest line I could, and yes, the steek reinforcement held fast and everything looks good. Everything except how curly the freed pieces of stockinette are! It was really hard to admire my handiwork because the squares would barely unfurl long enough to look at them. I’m thinking that the blocking will fix that, and I used hot water to semi-felt the pieces for more strength and a uniform texture on the right side.

The next step will be sewing the faces into a cube shape (I’m hoping I can use the sewing machine for 90% of the seaming) and stuffing it. The pattern suggests using upholstery foam to make a stiff, cubish toy, but I’ve been considering using grains to make it more like a square bean bag. I can’t wait to see how it turns out!